Leading and Managing in English
Description and Target audience
Managing in English is a programme to develop and significantly improve English language and communication competence. It is a programme to build and expand leadership and entrepreneurial skills, and communication confidence when working globally with diverse teams.
It is a customized training programme to maximize effective delivery, rapport and productivity to successfully achieve objectives with international contacts, clients and colleagues.
Benefits and Goals
- Develop awareness and understanding of variations in international management.
- Increase active participation of managers and other professionals working across borders.
- Help reach specific (company and individual) business and profession objectives.
- Work towards reaching a level of communicative competence and fluency, where linguistic independence, personal confidence and active participation are the norm.
Sessions and Topics
All participants will use their management and leadership skills while focusing on expanding and strengthening core language and communication skills. For an overview of the contents see the appendix (below).
The system of training will be based on an Awareness-Analysis-Practice-Application-Transfer-Review-Reflection principle. Training will be orientated towards self-exploration, self-learning and exchange of information.
The training course is highly participative, interactive with mixed input and output sessions. There will be a variety of pace, exercises, professional skills activities, role plays and simulations.
- Company and individually specific material
- Commercially available material as training support
- Each participant will get a course training file with material and feedback/recordings on CD or USB (downloadable)
Start Level, Length and Participants
Participants should already have a good working knowledge of English – B1/B2 on the European Council Reference Grid.
Length: 3 – 5 Days
Participants: 1 – 12
Who is it for?
Anyone who feels they are not reaching their maximum potential while working internationally with customers, clients and colleagues in English.
Appendix – Core Competences
During training sessions the following areas of Management Competence are explored and utilized.
- Personal Qualities (self-awareness, commitment/motivation, integrity, etc.)
- Leadership and Teams (leadership and management skills, involving and working with others, etc.)
- Commercial and Professional Skills (personalized and specialist business/professional capabilities – as determined by participants, knowledge, competence, etc.)
- Reasoning Skills (analytical skills, decision making and strategic perspectives – depending on the needs of participants)
- Team Skills (EQ, social skills, leadership and interpersonal competence)
- Intercultural awareness (ICQ, communication and application)
Appendix – Focus Areas
As this is a highly customized course, the professional content and focus areas are determined by the participants. Below is a sample of professional skills regularly included in training.
These are not exhaustive. They are added to and altered depending on the needs of the participants and the organisation’s or sponsor’s requirements.
Communication Process and Interpersonal Skills
- Accurate use of techniques for checking, clarifying and creating effective and ‘authentic’ communication
- Use series of gambits and other devices for –
- expressing emotional qualities: consideration, enthusiasm, fairness, judgement, confidence, support, warmth and fun
- demonstrating sensitivity to others
- engaging others and easily communicating feelings
- supporting, praising and giving people credit openly
- Diplomatic language with clear understanding of formal-informal register span
- Able to communicate 1:1 and to groups
- High level of spoken communication and able to articulate message well
- Linguistic and communicative accuracy
- Present things professionally
- Speak coherently
- Use a broad selection of communication tools, devices and media
- Manage vocabulary and lexis
- Word building (v/n/adj/adv)
- Prefixes and suffixes
- Formal – informal
- Prepositions and particles in phrases
- Flexible use of professional terminology and word choice
Structural Language and Grammar
- Understand tense structures
- Use adverbs and adjectives well
- Understand structures of complex sentences and use relative clauses
- Use conjunctions and other linking devices skillfully
- Clear understanding of reference words/phrases
- Accurate use of prepositions and particles
- Rephrase without difficulty
- Good punctuation
- Use modal auxiliaries effectively
- Use phrases to compare and contrast well
Professional Skills 1
- Deliver effective presentations
- Hold and take part in meetings
- Effective use of language and communication skills for successful negotiations
- Build trust and rapport
- Establish and build internal and external contacts to achieve results
- Choose communication methodology and media to suit the situation
- Use assorted communication tools effectively
Professional Skills 2
- Ask and handle probing questions
- Counter arguments logically
- Understand and explain complex information and details
- Understand cause and effect actions
- Handle difficult concepts and explain to others using own words
- Analyze and interpret numerical data
- Thorough and detailed explanation of situations
- Facts and figures to support information
- Logical arguments in context
- Present ideas concisely
- Understand and able to communicate technical or professional jargon at appropriate level
Cultural Sensitivity & Intercultural Skills
- Understand cultural diversity
- Especially variations in language context and communication variations/complexities
- Understand others and their lifestyles, beliefs, values and perceptions
- Self-awareness, self-knowledge and demonstrate understanding (EQ) of others
- Recognition of potential for misunderstanding
- Understands cause-effect, effectiveness and efficiency in different cultures
Telephone and Writing skills
- Awareness of voice, intonation, etc., on the phone
- Versatile use of telephone gambits and full telephone skills
- Writes clearly and concisely – can alter style depending on situation (e-mail, external v. internal report, etc)
- Vary layout depending on needs, including visual impact
Where can the course be held?
Courses can be held in Bath Spa and vicinity, or in any location you choose.
If you do choose to have your course/workshop in the scenic Roman city of Bath, you can choose between staying with a host family, in a guest house or hotel.